What is a Housing Disrepair claim?

All landlords must ensure that any property provided to its tenants is safe and suitable for the all occupants. The landlord has repairing obligations pursuant to the tenancy agreement, and/or sections 9A, 10 & 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended by the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018  and/or Section 4 of the Defective Premises Act 1972 and/or The Housing Act 2004.

If you have any outstanding repairs/issues with your property and you have provided your landlord with reasonable notice of the problems but they have still not repaired the issues then you are likely to be able to make a housing disrepair claim as your property is likely to be deemed as in a state of “disrepair”.

A claim for housing disrepair is not only to have your landlord rectify the issues and repair the problems within your property, you are also entitled to compensation. You could be owed £1000s in compensation for your property disrepair, damaged personal belongings and any personal injuries suffered.

Typical examples of property disrepair issues include the following below which is a non-exclusive list: –

• Damp/Mould*
• Water Leaks
• Pests or Vermin Infestation (Mice/Rats etc)
• Structural Issues or Asbestos
• Cracks or Subsidence
• Broken or Faulty Windows/Doors
• Boiler (Heating/Water) Issues
• Unsafe Electrical Wiring/Plugs
• Unsafe Flooring/Stairs
• Condensation in Windows
• Inadequate Cavity Wall Insulation

*Black Mould on the wall

Personal Injuries

Your property disrepair conditions addressed above can also result in personal injuries being suffered by the occupants which you can also make a claim for if this is supported by relevant medical evidence i.e attending your GP or hospital and this is recorded within your medical history. Examples of medical conditions that can be classed as personal injuries are Asthma, Pneumonia, Anxiety/Depression.

Should you or anyone you know is living in a property that has any of the issues above, please contact us for a free no obligation discussion as to the prospects of making a claim against your landlord.

We are housing disrepair specialists and have helped many clients throughout the country by providing expert legal advice, ensuring maximum compensation is received along with having the landlord repair all the disrepair issues.

We work on a “No Win No Fee Basis” which means there are no upfront costs and peace of mind. You can reach us either by email at info@thorpewilson.co.uk, by telephone on 01706 522542 or even by Whatapp on 07453 499166 and we would be more than happy to help get you the compensation you deserve.